Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Butter Chickpea Curry - For Amanda

I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com, and it is the best homemade curry we have ever eaten. I exaggerate not when I say we were tempted to lick our plates clean, and the kids almost did. The both wolfed this down, which is amazing for my picky princess. Its not spicy, but incredibly flavorful..just fantastic. I had never used the tomato soup before, and it made all the difference in flavor, don't skip it. I halved the salt as well and its just perfect, any more would be gross.

We didn't use potatoes, I served the chickpea mixture over cauliflower instead which even Mike ate because it disguises the flavor enough for him LOL. I can't imagine serving the chickpeas and potatoes over rice, that just makes me shudder actually. Too much, I would think its fantastic with the potatoes in it and you don't need a bed of rice.

I have read of people substituting zucchini or carrots as well, I think the zucchini would be fantastic, I will try that next time.

  • 4 medium potatoes, cubed
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 2 teaspoons garam masala
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
  • 1/2 cup cream or milk
  • 1 (12 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained

1.Place potatoes in a saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil over high heat; simmer until the potatoes are tender. Drain, and set aside.

2. Warm oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic, and cook until the onions are soft and translucent. Stir in curry powder, garam masala, ginger, cumin, and salt. Cook for 1 or 2 minutes, stirring. Pour in soup, cream, and chickpeas. Stir in potatoes. Simmer 5 minutes.

0 comments: