Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Loblaws urges shoppers to stop using plastic bags

Part of the reason I love Superstore is the wonder of their totes (I have three that have been smashed, crashed, played "train" in by two rambunctious children and loaded tons of groceries for a couple years now and are STILL in one piece), the fact that their carts are designed for the totes precisely, and the push for their bags.

This article today talks about it a little more, but it neglects to mention that at least one store is COMPLETELY bagless. The store in Airdrie where my parents live is completely plastic bagless, you cannot purchase plastic at all. You are forced to use cloth or bins. LOVE. IT.

I honestly think instead of the charging more for the plastic, that they should get rid of them in Edmonton like they did in Airdire. The cloth bags are 74 cents each. That's IT. Who can't afford an investment of $5.18 for 7 !! cloths bags??

Oh, and how fantastic is the $3 million to the World Wildlife Fund over the next 3 years?

I would love to see this happen. Just give a weeks warning, then poof, sorry, we do not sell plastic bags anymore.

I also wonder, has anyone else heard of bagless Superstores like in Airdrie?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

The only plastic free store I know is Planet Organic. I think more and more stores will start offering the 99 cents or whatever cloth bags only.

Cori said...

I don't use bins, but I do use cloth bags. I particularily like the Superstore ones as they are a nice size dimension, and look sexy. And at Superstore, I know the bags will be packed properly, because it is ME doing the grocery packing, and no other check out people can figure out the concept of hard heavy stuff go below soft and breakable things.

Whew, sorry, didn't mean to rant...

miss b said...

I pretty much only shop at Superstore for groceries, so don't know of any bagless stores. But I love their bins and have had 1 of mine for about 7/8 years now, and the other 2 for probably about 5/6 years. They rock!

Also, I've been noticing that more shops (like the Jacob underwear store/whatever it's called lol) sells re-usable bags for like a buck, and they're really cute. The problem for me is remembering to keep them in the trunk so that if I am doing mall shopping, I have one handy.

Jane said...

Most of the UK stores are now completely bagless and the country hasn't ground to a halt. Those stores that DO use the bags don't assume you want one - they give your items to you without a bag and only give you a bag if you specifically ask for one. Then you are charged for it (usually quite a lot).

I think Ikea have the right idea....going completely bagless! Costco are bagless and people still shop there! I wish all stores would go bagless - it's exactly the push I need to remind me to ALWAYS remember my bags - I try to always remember them but I have a habit of forgetting to put them back in my car when I've used them!!! This is the push I need!!!!

Char said...

In NS the Superstores are just starting NOW to charge people for bags, it's about bloody time! I still shop at Sobey's, which doesn't charge for bags nor does it have any plans to right now. I would not have any issues with that plan, as I am usually seen shopping with my many cloth bags which I love.

I even had it out with one lady at the Superstore here who was complaining about how long it takes to pack up the cloth bags. I personally don't see it, and if it does, it's not my fault that they only have 2 cashiers working! Told her I wouldn't apologize for trying to make the earth a better place, and I told her to keep her opinions to herself.

Rebecca McKay said...

Is Planet Organic bagless?

When I went there in February they offered me one. .....of course I didn't accept it!

Anonymous said...

I like using plastic bags, because I reuse them on different things (like the dog, and garbage bags). What ever happened to offering biodegradable bags, or even the old PAPER bags? I know of many people in the same boat as I, and who use those bags all the time for miscellaneous things, and think that instead of getting rid of bags, we should use the biodegradable ones