Saturday, December 15, 2007

Homemade Fingerpaint

Today, besides baking up a storm, (I will post that tomorrow) I made homemade fingerpaint, which is part of Mr K and The Princess's gifts to their friends this year. It seemed to turn out really well, and what I loved is that we can give it to all their friends, even the young ones who eat everything, in fact, its perfect for kids just learning how not to eat their craft supplies! Completely non-toxic, I don't even think it would upset the stomach. Can't taste that great tho....

One batch fills 4 baby food jars, so I made 4 batches in all. Very easy, there's some yellow left for the kids are we are going to use it tomorrow, but I tried the blue myself tonight and it worked like it should lol.

The jars and the snowflake flannel are from the reuse center here, which was also a godsend for all my baking tins (I think I took about 15 and there were STILL tons left) . Very excellent place for crafters, and we took note of everything they accepted as well so we can get rid of what we don't use. I attached little cards with the ingredients listed on them, and one of them has the recipe for the older girl on our list, but if anyone else wants it, it follows below this picture.

Original Fingerpaint

Ingredients

1/2 cup cornstarch
3 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups cold water
food coloring

Directions

In a medium pan, mix all the ingredients together to make the finger paint. Cook over low heat 10 to 15 minutes. Keep stirring the finger paint mixture until it is smooth and thick. After the finger paint has thickened take the pan off the stove and let the mixture cool.

After cooling, divide the finger paint into storage containers depending on how many colors you would like. Add a few drops of food coloring to each container. Stir the coloring in to the paint to determine the shade of color. You're ready to finger paint! Cover tightly when storing.

1 comments:

Cindy said...

Honest to God to are Superwoman! I want to be you when I grow up. But instead I might just steal all your crafty ideas and not tell anyone! What a great gift idea! And so pretty! Now I just need to find one of those stores in Calgary! (If you know of one can you let me know?)