Saturday, January 19, 2008

More on the B-DAy Party

So I've managed to pry a bit more out of Mr K about the little boy at preschool and it just made me more confused about what to do LOL!

I had asked Mr K about him, and if he played with him, and he replied "He's a really rude boy". And K says he plays with other kids, not this little boy. Now I still don't know who he is, but I guess Mike does, he worked from home a couple afternoons this week and picked up K from preschool as a surprise. So Mike's polite version of this kid is that he's um, a wee bit out of control.

Ok, so now how do I go about explaining the intricacies of not going to a party just because you are invited? Now I feel stuck, because its not ok to go to a party of someone you don't like, just because a party would be fun (and K has made it pretty clear that he doesn't like this boy) . I mean, K is 4, this is getting into more heavy thought than need be at this point for Pete's sake!

And there's the other part, I don't want to "label" this child in K's head, because K hasn't come right out and said "I don't like him". I don't like putting words in my children's mouths or ideas in their heads. He has simply said he's rude to kids, rude to the teacher, and that he doesn't play with him. So I don't want to say "Oh, K, well, that means you don't like him so we don't go to the party", because then bingo, Mom's put that thought into his head. And to be honest, I don't like that saying, I would rather teach him that sometimes we aren't able to play well with certain people, that we have others that match us better for friends.

And stupid me sat right beside K's preschool teacher today at the winter carnival and didn't even think to ask her about the boy, whether perhaps there's a learning disability, or he's just having a hard time getting used to a preschool environment etc. Honestly. The sugar from the mini-donuts clouded my brain obviously. Look man, there was a unicycle and bright lights and this old Irish guy with a top hat juggling on it....I was thinking of other things.

See, I'll just sort through all this for the first time with him, then by the time The Princess is in preschool I will know what to say and do LOL! I still have a couple weeks to RSVP, so I think I will talk to the teacher, and go fairly early and watch them on the monitor and see what's what.

Aaah, if only everyone else in the world had such trivial things to worry about...oh...what a world it would be....;)

0 comments: