Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Flu shot mismatched on B virus- YEARS of missing the mark!

Article HERE

It appears there may be a partial flu shot mismatch again this year, with early data from Canada, the United States and Britain suggesting the vaccine component meant to protect against influenza B is not a match for the flu B viruses causing the most disease.

Predicting which family of influenza B viruses will dominate in a coming year – and therefore should be covered by the flu shot – is a challenge that has defied the experts in five of the last seven flu seasons, at least so far as disease patterns in North America are concerned.

The ongoing problem has prompted exploration of the idea that flu shots should be reformulated to add a second B component to a vaccine that currently protects against one family of B viruses and the two influenza A subtypes, H3N2 and H1N1.



I watched this on the news last night with my dad (god, while my dad is here ALL I WATCH IS THE NEWS lol) and of course then got into the discussion about this is one of the reasons we don't get the flu shot, because they literally guess (they say "forecast" I say guess) about which strains will hit. Also, in the news story, you just got this creepy feeling while watching them in their labs and listening that there is just a Superbug in the making. Seriously. I think by trying to outwit these strains every year, we are just creating THE BIG ONE. Shudder.

I also didn't realize that they had been missing the mark for years now...and of course, we can all guess why. The faster you manufacture the vaccine, the faster you sell it and the more money you make. I sometimes don't even want to consider who is pulling the strings behind the scene. I think that for high risk people that its probably a good idea....but that doesn't include any of our family.

1 comments:

Cori said...

Yep, even living with my aged FIL, we don't consider ourselves at risk enough to get it. I did get the real flu (not just the stomach one) this autumn, and it was pretty awful. Knocked me on my ass for 2 weeks. But I got it right before my school was scheduled for the free shots, so I would have missed it anyways.

Makes a person wonder if the things science is protecting us from is setting us up for a big culling of the herds. Haven't had a good plague in a few hundred years...