Thursday, May 03, 2007

Shopping Spree

I should be watching my kids. Who IS watching my kids, come to think of it?

Meh. Anyhow, Kade and I went on a shopping spree at Holes last Sunday, courtesy of my giftcard from Auntie Kandice. And boy, did we have fun! Kade loves going to garden centers with me, he loves looking at the plants, the hoses (lol) the carts and the little outdoor playground they have there.

Me? I adore that place. That's my kinda place. If there are flowers and plants that I can't even pronouce and didn't know existed, decent price tags and friendly, helpful staff, that's for me.

So we picked up a Dahlia, something I have been wanting to try forever. This one will bloom (and soon, there are buds on it) pink with yellow, my faavorite color combination. They make excellent cut flowers, the more you cut, the more they grow back and they bloom all season. Perfect. I am going back for one or two more.


Then I found my scarlet honeysuckle, one of the few without berries. There's no use tempting fate by putting any berries in the backyard that shouldn't be eaten. This sucker grows to 20 feet tall. I think I will be doing a lot of pruning this year. It will be worth it tho, they are beautiful, attract hummingbirds and and not poisonous.

We also bought a John Cabot climbing rose which should be absolutely spectacular, a dragonfly ornament that Kade picked out and manure. You should have seen the look on Kade's face when I told him there was cow poop in the bags LOL!

And then, I found what I want to try next year. For a mere $60 for a 11 cm plant, you too can have ladyslippers in the backyard. Oh my. I think if I am going to even think about having these, that I will have to to do my research and start conditioning the soil this year, and then, um, spend a fortune on plants. Those are the kind that just "appear" in the backyard without your husband knowing. I am excited to try them, but not yet...

1 comments:

Cori said...

I wish you luck in your gardening adventures! I have three different kinds of green things growing in my front flower box. Yep, three. And they're green.