Tuesday, May 06, 2008

And So It Begins...

And here start the gardening posts.....and my counter space is limited for the next week and half. Its almost time to plant! After a nice morning having friends over, I was inspired to dig out my new flowerbeds while the kids played outside. Then we popped to Canadian Tire to search for a de-thatcher blade for the mower, and ending up drooling over the peonies there. And I grabbed 3. my green thirst is quenched for the moment.

Mr K has completely claimed the middle one as his own, he was lugging it around the store and calling it his own from the moment we bought it, and The Princess picked the red one as hers. But Mr K loves the fact that his is named Karl :) so it will be one that goes in the backyard, I need two for the front flowerbed as well....I love how many lessons we get out of this every year, its amazing what can spark their interest. We are going to have a great summer watching the ants and discussing the symbiotic relationship between them and the peonies, he literally CAN'T wait for the ants to start eating the wax away, he is fascinated by this concept. Even tho they don't really need the ants so they can open, I think its so cool how the ants love them.




2 comments:

Char said...

Those peonies are gorgeous! I can't wait to see the pics when they bloom in your garden.

I saw a great doc tonight on PBS Nova and I thought of you-it was about the evolution of flowers and the hunt for the oldest known flower. They showed this mountainside road in China that had to have about a dozen flower varieties in about a 5 square ft radius. everything from a really neat lilly that doesn't completely open-making a bell-shape-to a beautiful brown/burgundy ladyslipper. It was fascinating!

Jane said...

Gorgeous peonies!!! I'm on the hunt for peonies this weekend for my front flower bed. I have to move one this year too and I hear they don't like to be moved - any tips?

You bought a scarlet honeysuckle last year didn't you? How did it do? Mine has done great thankfully? I want to find some more this year because my clematis that I bought the same time didn't make it :(

I'm excited to see what a difference my bees make to how well my flowers do - I wonder if they really will make a big difference!