Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Edible Garden Tour

Saturday was the Edible Garden tour, put on by the Urban Farmer . It was an incredibly great 6.5 hours (10-4:30, ran half an hour late) and even tho I had my doubts about being entertained by gardening and gardeners for that long, it went SO fast, and was SO interesting! We visited 7 yards officially, then peeked into backyards on an alley tour as well LOL.

I hardly took any pictures! I was honestly listening so hard and trying to absorb everything that was being said, that I took maybe 9 pictures the whole time! Whooops.

These were plums grown by a gentleman who had many plum,apple, and Evans cherries in his yard.

The Evans cherries, which tasted pretty good, not as good as the normal cherries, but a unique flavor for sure. I am pondering planting one of these in the front now....they are a beautiful looking tree as well as bearing lots of fruit.

One of the front yards turned into a garden, she had said she had a few failures this year so it doesn't look like she wants, but she had all sorts of veggies, including the yellow flowering Jerusalem Artichoke in the middle, which I guess you can eat the tuberous roots like potatoes. It was taller than I am.


I would love now to attend some of his workshops, there aren't many left this year, but I definitely plan on keeping eye on his website for next year!

0 comments: